Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Part-Timing

I have a job interview this evening. I’ll actually be out of the interview before you read this but since I haven’t had it yet, I can’t write about it in time for this post now can I?

I need a part time job. The job that goes above and beyond your full-time job. The kind that gets you through the holidays and helps pay for the nickel and dime-ing of raising kids.

I want to live beyond my means. So…I need more means.

I’m headed to my local Wal-Mart to acquire a job running a register-ringing up sundries in a timely and efficient manner. To be pleasant without driving patrons to distraction with overly bright and perky, yet forced, conversation.

I hope not to be avoided

And we all know the ‘checkers’ to avoid:

-The old retired gentleman that talks too much and takes a year to total your groceries.

-The teenager who pops gum the entire time and grunts when asked a question.

-The lady with the kind face who changes her mind constantly when bagging. She takes things out of one bag and puts them in another and then back again until they are just so.

-The trainee who has to call for help when he can’t figure out the code for purple cabbage vs. green.

-The underage checker. She has to have someone else ring up liquor. And let’s face it, who can take a trip to Sam’s place without a drop before…and after?

…maybe my means are just fine after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wal-Mart is like Lidl or Aldi I reckon. They don't pay great do they? Stores like that here 'boast' that they pay above the minimum wage ... and they do - €1 above.

Anyway, hope it went well. Let us know. Means, like needs, must.

Sugar Britches said...

Wal-Mart is the King of discount retailers over here. They sell groceries, cosmetics, electronics, clothes, hardwear-you name it. Funny you stopped by today as I was writing a follow up post. Thanks for the visit!

sitemeter