Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Recipe

Just so all of you will stop clamoring, I'm going to give you my recipe for cranberry tea.


OK.  So nobody is clamoring.  But...I get such joy out of this simple fall beverage that it would just warm my heart if one of my long distant blog buddies would partake and enjoy also.

So as I make the second batch of the year...

1 package cranberries
2 qt. water
3 cinnamon sticks

Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.  Make sure to enjoy the popping sounds of the berries as they crack open from the heat.

Strain cranberries.

At this point, I take the cranberries and concoct a homemade sauce.  Of course this isn't to every one's liking and you should only use this as a guideline, but whilst the cranberries are still hot, I put them in a small bowl and add:
1 tsp. lemon peel
1 tsp. orange peel
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
Stir and refrigerate.

As I said, this could be too sweet.  However, after it is cooled, Big has been known to take a spoon and eat the whole mess.  

Then he sits on the stool for two days.  

I'm just kidding.  He doesn't.  But we don't worry about urinary tract infections.

Back to the tea...

Add to the strained cranberry juice:
2 C pineapple juice
2 C orange juice
2 C water
1 C sugar

Simmer 20 -30 minutes.

Awesome, Y'all.  This is where you could add some cinnamon schnapps to taste and have a fine hot cocktail to partake of in front of a roaring fire.

Or, if you want it to remain non-alcoholic, here is the secret to adding extra cinnamony goodness.  When you bring the batch to a boil, add a package of red hots.

Yeah, the candy.

Melt it all down.

Keep warm in a crock pot.  

Every time you come into the house from out of the chill, the smell will hit you and you'll be in autumn Heaven.

You're welcome.

No comments:

sitemeter