Monday, September 22, 2008

Question for you.

OK.


So, Little's playing football tonight, right?

They win.

Big. Thank you very much.

No thanks to the referees.

Now, I'm not going to spend this post griping about the quality of the officials.  That can be done much better by others.  

I've shared before that I'm neither the brightest bulb on the porch nor crayon in the box. I'm not even the sharpest tool in the shed, but if one signs on to be a referee for American football shouldn't he at least be able to move from one end of the field to the other without risking a heart attack?

Shouldn't there be a weight limit?

Shouldn't there be some kind of fitness test?

Shouldn't he realistically still be able to play the game he's officiating?

I don't understand how a 300+ lb. man thinks he can pull this off or the fact he is given a paycheck to do so.

Is there a local shortage of officials?

It scares me to death every time I see him out there because I honestly think that one night in the middle of third quarter the EMTs are going to haul him off on a stretcher.

To his credit he is very precise in his hand signals to the announcer.  It's virtual poetry. 

Really.

He is the picture of grace as he slowly and gracefully creates a veritable interpretive dance out of calling offsides.  When he throws a yellow flag it's rhythm gymnastics in the Ozarks.

But we're playing ball here, Kids.  And I really think he should be able to actually see a play when he calls it.

Unlike the others around me, I kept these wicked and uncharitable thoughts to myself.

...and no you guys don't count because I tell you everything. 

 Well... not everything.

No comments:

sitemeter