Saturday, November 29, 2008

No Hurry

Today I feel sorry for anyone who wants to peer in my kitchen window.


Not that I'm accustomed to that sort of tomfoolery, but the heat from the stove is making peering or leering impossible.  It's difficult to see through fogged up windows.

The frost on the bottoms is a good indicator that the air is freezing. As I house-slipper my way out to the back deck to sip coffee, the cattle on the fence row prove my hypothesis by snorting steam out from their noses.  

Yeah, snorted. 

 I heard them.

I appreciate that the neighbor has returned cattle to that pasture.  I like my cross-field bovine conversations.  Most days we don't discuss much, but today we had a visit about the pickup trucks that joined them yesterday and the fence mending that took place.

We said our good days and I retreated back into my kitchen and was blasted in the face by warmth and the smell of cranberries and cinnamon simmering on the stove.

The yeast rolls are rising nicely and the vegetables are in the oven melting in swiss cheese.

I reckon I orta take a shower before time gets away from me, but the fire in the wood stove beckons and I think I'll succumb to its call to sit beside it for a spell.

We'll be over the river and through the woods soon enough.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The neighbour moved his cattle indoors a while back (as all farmers here do in autumn before winter sets in). But I have his sheep to look at in the morning. Unlike his cattle they don't even recognise my presence.

Hell, the dog even refused to go "morning walks" with me today. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and put that dwon to the freezing fog, not my company.

Sugar Britches said...

Primal, I have no experience with sheep whatsoever. But I know what your poor sweetie is feeling. My dogs were not happy about being outside for the biggest portion of the day. The fire called to them too.

Anonymous said...

.... amen to that!..... sometimes you just gotta stop and smell the cranberries!...

Eric

Sugar Britches said...

Yeah, Eric. I love having the stove insert in the fireplace. It helps with utilities. But Good Lord a good wood fire can run you out of the house!

sitemeter