Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Picnic

I was still recovering from the night before, so I make no apologies for my vegetative state, even if I do feel guilty. 

Last night I piddle-farted the night away by sitting on the couch and watching two hours of I Love the 80’s on VH1 Classics. 

1982 and 1983 to be exact.

Its bad enough I actually sat and watched, but I also lamented the fact I didn’t pick up a free pair of 3D glasses at Wal-Mart the night before.

Yeah, it was in 3D.  

I don’t know if I could have handled Weird AL in 3D, but I’d have given it a go.

This photo isn't in 3D either, but Kevin Costner is a sight more attractive then Weird AL.  


He’s older, but he’s still long and lean and hot as hell.  (Kevin not AL)

Springfield Underground was just as hot, but gentle breezes prevailed all day, keeping our picnic comfortable whilst we waited the arrival of our founder’s new friend.  Those of us on ‘the committee’ started setting up at 7:30 in the morning and ran a steady pace all day. There are games to set up and staff-brats to be cooked-inflatables to inflate-bingo tents to table and chair and fill with prizes-and porta-potties to be serviced.

Thank God that last item wasn’t on my to-do list, but we were standing down wind while someone else did the big job.

Ha!  Get it?  Big job?

Yeah, OK.

We ended the afternoon of activities with a concert by Kevin's Band, (We’re on a first name basis now.  I am at least. I don’t think he even knows mine.  Well, I know he doesn’t because I never gave it to him.  Nor did he ask for it.)

Sigh.

His band is a pet project and he does it, well, because he can and he enjoys it.

Don’t we all want that out of life?

He and his gorgeous young, very young wife and son came among us-the great unwashed-and played games and visited with folks.  I talked to his wife for a minute or two while guiding her to the kids’ games.  They took off in swirl of dust, leaving me standing-sweaty and forlorn-in the wake of their golf cart.

During the concert we tore down tables and chairs, collapsed tents and canopies, and dumped trash.

I finally collapsed me on the blessed, cool grass about sundown.  I was lying flat on my back, eyes closed, breathing in great gulps of sweet air and loving the damp smell of the earth. Startled, I opened my eyes and was rewarded with brilliant flashes of fire.

I loved every bright booming moment and didn't move until the last rocket's red glare.

Now...back to the office.

No comments:

sitemeter