Friday, August 24, 2007

Don't Ever Change!

Tell me where these quotes come from. You know you know them. You’ve either written them or read them…or both.

Let’s begin.
Stay sweet as you are!
2 good + 2 be = 4 gotten
Let’s stay friends 4 ever.
Love ya like a sister!
Don’t ever forget that night and the two bottles of Tickle Pink (or MD 20/20 or Boone’s Farm, or…)
Oh, my God, I can’t believe we’re finally…
Thanks for being so sweet.
You are such a great friend.
Well, where to start...
You are so nice!
I know whatever you do, you’ll be the best!
Well, we finally made it…
Good Luck! (Not that you'll need it.)
Well, what can I say?
Don’t forget about me.

Boondoggle is an office gal. We were talking the other day about our first car. She grew up on the other side of the country, but graduated in the 80’s as I did. We remember loading up crap on our rear-view mirrors. Bandanas with dumb pins stuck to them, our class keys, the tassels off our mortar boards, beads, feathers, (attached to roach-clips) ID’s on lanyards. It is God’s own wonder we could see behind us with all that shite on there. Rear view mirror desecration just doesn't happen anymore.

Teens don’t wear letter jackets either. They still earn letters and collect medals. They just don’t put them on jackets. Big and Little both hang some on their walls and stick some in drawers.

Some things however, haven’t changed. Kids write the same insipid stuff in yearbooks today that we did then. And we wrote the same things our parents’ did. I used to spend many happy an hour pouring over Prissy’s and Uncle Hippy’s annuals. I loved the musty smell of the pages, the glossy black and white pictures, the satisfying crack of the spine when it got opened for the first time in twenty years, the stern looks on all the faces of the teachers.

And I loved the autograph section.

Stay as sweet as you are and don’t ever change! Circa 1964.

No comments:

sitemeter